Friday, November 19, 2010

Updated Progress

I know it has been a while since I last posted, but I do have progress to report, and pics to show!

I've just completed several figs for sale (going up on eBay). As well as a fair amount of work on several others which will be sold. Also I have finished work on a personal fig, and gotten a fair amount of work done on four others I will be keeping. Problems have arisen on one sale project though... they are marines, a battleforce box actually... the trouble is deciding if I will do them as Imperial Fists, or Crimson Fists.

But now onward to show what I've been working on of late.

I finally got things together and finished up Lady Hammerstrike, had a few minor touch-up issues to deal with and the basing. But now she is finished and will be put up on eBay. I really did enjoy painting this fig, such a great change from power armor, power armor, power armor.






My next figs to complete (no, don't count the 'nearly' finished Knight of Bal-Timorea yet) was Kaelyssa, Night's Whisper from the Warmachine line (Retribution warcaster). She was an interesting change from the Space Marines I've been buried in for a while. Having a number of 'tricky' areas to paint, namely the 'arcane' lines of force from her warcaster armor power nodes. I learned a few new tricks while painting her which helped on the following figs.





Then I got down to work on a Retribution warjack, a Gorgon light warjack. Needless to say, Retribution are a pain to paint at times, but I found doing white to be pretty easy overall. Shade through highlight was actually quite easy to do, I'm not really sure why some people have trouble with white and yellow. Unfortunately, the white of the 'jack armor blended into my lightbox... so the pics kind of suck for this fig. I will be using a different backdrop to take pics on for retribution warjacks in the future.





I then worked on a Mage Hunter Assassin. Another fun fig, this was the variant sculpt. I find that I LOVE Privateer Press figs, they have minimal flash, very very minimal issue with mold lines, and are overall two to three steps above the quality of Games Workshop in pretty much every way with their metals.

The Mage Hunter was one in which I decided to use a variant color scheme, going with a type of self created light OD Green for the leather, and white for the armor. The standard scheme uses grey leathers and armor, among other things.



After getting those done, I got to work on some Hordes Trollbloods. An interesting line, trolls with a semi-scottish leaning. All the figs in this line are very characterful, and quite interesting overall.

First up is Madrak Ironhide, World Ender, (An Epic warlock). He's a very dynamic fig, with lots of detail. I figure I'm roughly 50% finished with him and the other Epic trollblood warlock I'm working on. I decided to go with greens in the shading on this, which is giving an interesting effect on the brown leathers.



I'm also working on Hoarluk Doomshaper, Rage of Dhunia. This character fig is very interesting due to the major amounts of detail that are present, as well as the dynamic pose and obvious rage in the face of the fig. I am using the same green mix to shade this character, which gives it a similar feel to Madrak's fig which I am doing. I'm sharing the palette between figs, so I don't waste paint, and this gives a 100% unified look to them as they are using exactly the same paints.





I'm having a few issues with blurring with this lighting setup, which is very obvious in the face of the next fig. A Warmachine/Hordes mercenary Nyss Sorceress. Overall I went with a color scheme which is almost counter to what is typical for this fig. Using blues for all the leather, browns, oranges, and greens for her outer cloak as if each bit is a leaf and it is blurring the seasons.





This last fig is a personal project fig, as I find I don't want to sell it. It's a nice fig, and will fit into my new Warmachine army, as well as looking very nice and acting as a bit of a display piece to show off my skills (it REALLY does look better in person... I have to figure out this dang camera a bit more).

Back to work I go (painting that is)! Later readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment