Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ultramarines movie review

I recently had the chance to see the new Ultramarines movie. And without including spoilers I will be giving my impressions of the movie.

Overall the quality of the 3d animation was excellent, and attention to detail was obvious. Of course I would have prefered they not use the Ultrasmurfs as the main characters, but GW and their 'smurfs are the best' mentality guaranteed that wouldn't happen. The combat scenes were very well done, without looking herky jerky or overly staged.

The plotline was pretty thin, but we are talking about a space marine movie. Marines aren't deep thinkers, they fight, so having a thin plotline isn't such a bad thing. There are places were the dialog seems contrived, and trite, but they don't really detract from the movie overall.

Some of the scenes and plot hooks are a bit overused and typical, but as I've said marines, not deep thinkers, they fight. A few of the 'shock' points in the story aren't really very shocking at all, but again we go with 'marines, etc etc etc.'.

I wouldn't rate this as a 5 star movie, but it is definitely worth a 3 star rating. Worth watching, and I look forward to seeing what else Codex can come up with for further movies.

1 comment:

  1. I think you'll find that Ultramarines being 'the best' is in fact the case. That's the advantage of being the creator and owner of IP. What you say goes. Brilliant that things work that way eh?

    As for the movie. I think the consensus so far is to go in with low expectations and come out pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete