Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Lady Hammerstrike Finished

Once I finished the painting on Lady Hammerstrike I was pretty content with the results. Everything blended together well, nothing seemed to need a lot of attention, let alone a little (okay the left eye... but there is only so much you can do with a fig that has issues). So I decided it was time to hit it with the flat clear and seal it up... and that is when the fig went from looking really good to 'huh? wtf? glossy?'. Seriously, never, ever, ever, make the mistake I did of thinking 'hmmm... well all the sealers I usually use are just expensive versions of the cheap stuff I can get in a hardware store.' Mistake made, buying a $4 can of Krylon Crystal Clear Flat, instead of my normal The Army Painter matte sealer (which is $12 locally).

Onward to showing the horror that is the wasting of 7-8 hours of painting, due to using the absolutely worst sealer possible...

Now, to be truthful, this isn't so bad. It could have been a lot worse. But until I get another can of TAP matte to spray over it, this is just insanely glossy. Unless I can find another option to dull the gloss down, I have at least 3 days before I can 'finish' this fig. Which is pretty disappointing overall.
Lesson learned, quality really does cost more.

No comments:

Post a Comment